Sunday, March 05, 2006

Wrong/Right

I had a tough day today. Needless to say, I came home from church this morning feeling like a complete and utter failure in my ventures as a mother. After a good, hard cry I had to give myself a pep talk. So, in order to affirm myself a bit, I made a list of the things I have done wrong and the things I haven't done wrong.

Things I've Done Wrong In Raising My Children
  • I have allowed Baby to nurse herself to sleep, thus making weaning even harder.
  • I haven't instilled great eating habits, though I don't feed them chicken nuggets every day.
  • Potty training has been a huge chore.
  • I have let them sleep in my bed (to me, this isn't bad, but I realize most people think it is, so I will list it here)
  • I let them go to bed sometimes without brushing their teeth.
  • They watch too much TV.
  • I've spanked too hard or spanked in anger when I shouldn't have.
  • I haven't spanked when I should have.
  • I haven't followed through on all threats and promises.

Things I've Done Right

  • I kiss them every night when I tuck them in and tell them I love them.
  • I read to them every day.
  • I am here with them every day.
  • I play with them.
  • I want for them.
  • I've given them massages when they were babies.
  • I put their towels in the dryer when they are coming out of the bath on a cold night.
  • I've never taken them to a crack house.
  • I've caught their vomit in my hands. This is a biggie.
  • I've never put Pepsi in a baby bottle.

Both lists could probably be longer. And in the coming days I may add to them. Feel free to add some of your own if you'd like.

3 comments:

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Man, you're hard on yourself, girl. Nursing baby to sleep and letting your cuties sleep with you are on the bad list??? Those are just preference issues and as long as you and your husband are happy with it- chill.

You forgot to include HOMESCHOOLING on your list of good things... THERE's your biggie.

So glad you don't take your kids to crack houses. You are my role model.

janiners said...

if anybody adds anything to your "bad" list, I will have to hurt them. you are an incredible and great mom, girl! you have such a laid back attitude that I could only long to develop in my lifetime. your children are blessed to have you as their mom - "failures," failures, and all.

SuperMom said...

Okay, allow me to clarify. I wasn't asking you to add to my list. I was saying feel free to affirm yourselves :-)

Thanks for the encouragement, though ;-)