Friday, March 17, 2006

I am tired. So tired. Baby has a sinus infection and started antibiotics yesterday, but last night was killer. It was like having a newborn again...her waking up crying every hour. Even my two cups of very strong coffee couldn't get me around this morning. I had plans. Really fun plans for Saint Patrick's day with the kids. And I can't open my eyes. Every little thing they do pushes my buttons and I feel my snappy, rotten attitude creeping up on me. Flylady would be so disappointed to see our great little routine going kaput this morning. I start to pray, because I don't know what else to do. I just need help to get through this day with everyone in one piece.
Hubby calls and asks if I had a rough night. "Yes," I say. I was really hoping for something like this from him, "Ooooohhhh, you poor baby! I am so sorry you didn't sleep well. As soon as I get home I'll take the kids and let you rest. Don't worry about that laundry, either. I'll get to that right after your foot massage. And what about a movie? Can I stop and get you one? What can I do for you? How can I help, Sweet Light of my Life, Most Exalted Among Women, Angel of Mine?" Instead he asks about Baby. "So, she's exhausted, huh?" "Uh, yeah," I say, not even trying to hide the irritation in my voice. "What about you?" he finally asks. "Me? Oh, I'm great. I slept right through it!" Yes, it was a big helping of sarcasm, served alongside a dollap of hurt, with a big, steaming side of anger. Well, I don't know why, but instead of rushing home to ravish me with kisses and tell me how great I am, he chose to end the call. And then called later to say he would probably stay and work tonight, too. Hmmmm. What's his problem?

Perhaps I should go to bed early tonight.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Definitely go to bed early. Definitely keep praying. Now you know why armies use sleep deprivation as torture. It's killer. More than anything, we'll all pray for everyone to sleep all night!

LiteratureLover said...

I'm so sorry. Those nights and days are rough. Hang in there girlie!