Saturday, December 31, 2005

Cinematic Vomit

As a rule, if a movie has been nominated for or won any Acadamy Awards, I am sure to hate it. But sometimes I have a momentary lapse in judgement and rent one anyway, thinking maybe the idiots who vote for these movies might actually pick a good one...just as a fluke. I was curious about "American Beauty" and decided to give it a shot.

They say insanity is repeating the same behavior expecting a different result. Well, I must have been freaking out of my mind to watch this movie. I can't for the life of me figure out why people pay money to watch crap like this. It's DEPRESSING!!! It doesn't affect me in a positive way. It doesn't give me new insight to life. Frankly, it disturbs me. Are there people out there like this? Is there really a middle class family in America this screwed up? The only redeeming thing in the entire movie is that Kevin Spacey doesn't turn out to be the sicko pedophile he is sure to become. Ugh. I need a shower.

There is a part in the movie where the psycho, drug-dealing neighbor kid (the most normal person in the movie) who ends up being the daughter's boyfriend, is showing her a home movie he made of "the most beautiful thing he ever filmed". The so-called "beautiful" video is of a small plastic bag blowing in the wind. And he starts tearing up and spewing some kind of emotional garbage about beauty in the world, blah, blah, blah. IT'S A PLASTIC BAG!!!!!!! Yet another example of how too much introspection is not good for a person...creating meaning where there is none.

I'll say this--the movie says a lot about being honest with ourselves, and that things are not always what they seem. As if we don't all get that anyway. Duh.

I am a happy ending kind of girl. Give me predictable endings and a warm fuzzy and I am good. Shallow? Maybe. Naive? Probably. I just want to be entertained, for goodness sake. I think next time I'll get Forrest Gump.

No comments: