Saturday, April 22, 2006

Warning: This is yet another post marveling at my son. Another mom who thinks hers is the best ever on the face of the planet, blah, blah, blah. If you're sick of hearing about it, click out now.

Isn't it funny how you have these little, tiny, helpless babies and you can't imagine them ever uttering a word or doing anything but cling to you for the rest of their lives? Then suddenly you turn around and they are seven, doing and saying things that grab your heart and blow it up like a balloon, until you swear it will burst with pride and adoration.

I am blown away by the maturity Brother has found in the past year. He is still probably a bit immature by today's standards, but I'm okay with that. I'll keep him little as long as I can, thank you. Lately he has really settled into the role of the oldest. I never really saw him as being able to take that on. Maybe because he is my firstborn and I've never had a seven year old before. I didn't really know what to expect. But his kindness and tenderness with his sisters these past couple of days has been so sweet and surprising. He has been dying to help the girls in whatever way he can. Baby is very receptive to this and thinks he is the greatest thing since Cheerios in a cup. However, Sister is very independent and doesn't like being helped often. Sometimes Brother comes to me crying because she refused his help. Once this week he sobbed, "But I want to be kind to her!"

Yes, I know. It's the stuff dreams are made of.

My rough and rowdy boy has a beautiful, tender heart. But before you start thinking I am some kind of parenting genius, allow me to set the record straight. He's not perfect. He whines and complains with the best of 'em. He talks back. He can be very selfish and mean. And I don't know what the heck I'm doing...especially when it comes to boys. I know I've wounded him. I've failed miserably in many areas. I'm terrified that somehow I'm going to screw this whole thing up and one day he'll wind up a trembling, confused heap in the corner of a rubber room. But seeing his actions of late gives me hope.

And it ain't because of me.

I am in awe. God gave me this child. He allows me to take part in and be witness to the unfolding of one so fascinating.

Parenting...what a trip.

2 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

He really is maturing sweetly. He's got a big heart!

Diana said...

He's going to be a keeper for a lucky lady with that huge heart of his.