Saturday, February 02, 2008

Wanted: Grandparents (or anyone else willing to babysit for free)

I have the sweetest little neighbor lady across the street. Ms. Cindy's husband died about five years ago and we try to look out for her. Ms. Cindy has a daughter my age and two grandsons that love to play over here when they come visit grandma...which is every weekend.

Now, I love Ms. Cindy. I love her daughter. And I love her dear little grandsons. But I have to admit, I feel a tinge of jealousy every weekend when her daughter drops off those little boys and leaves them to spend the night at grandma's house and she and her husband go do whatever it is childless grownups do on a Saturday night while I sit here at home surrounded by noisy, messy children and Hubby is at work.

Where do I get one of those?!

Don't get me wrong, my parents are fabulous grandparents. My kids adore them and they are great at coming, staying for an hour, spoiling the kids senseless and leaving. But they've never kept my kids overnight.

Never.

Part of it is my fault, really. I was very protective of Brother and wouldn't let hardly anyone hold him, let alone keep him. But with each child, I've become a little less protective and a little more desperate. Seriously. Take my kids. Please.

I've tried to tell myself that my parents probably would sit for us if they didn't live an hour away, but it's little consolation as I have a friend whose parents live in a neighboring state and still make arrangements to take the kids for the weekend.

Was their some kind of secret grandparenting class my parents missed? Shouldn't this have been in their contract? Can I sue for breech?

So who's free next weekend? Don't be afraid. The kids come with their own straightjackets and weekend supply of Benedryl.

7 comments:

Ann(ie) said...

I would like to offer my services. I have a busy 14 mo old that would love some older kids to harass!! Plus, your kids are too cute for words!

Only problem....I live in Seattle.

My boy is my mom's only grandchild and sometimes I'm afraid she'll take him only to never return him. She is over the moon. I feel very lucky!

Anonymous said...

you have child-sized straight jackets?! Where can I get one? I ran out of duct tape!

LiteratureLover said...

Oh me! Me! Pick me!!!

Only they're not allowed to call me Granny or anything like that. I'll take "Aunt".

The Reluctant Homeschooler said...

If I knew where you are, I'd send my teens over to take care of your kids, and we'd both have some free time ;-)

Anonymous said...

I think a few of us rivendellers', or maybe just me, have begged for your kids at one point of another. you just have to drive n' drop. elijah would love a slumber party some time!

Anonymous said...

I had to force myself to let the grandparents take our one year old for a night. All my husband and I did was talk about... the boy. Since then, it's gotten easier and I generally use the time to sleep or get something on my body waxed off.

Elizabeth said...

I am very envious of grandparents too. My kids grantparents are either deceased or live out of the country. I want a grandma too!!!

ps...I've been peeking in from Mindyluwho and rebecca's pages.