Friday, January 05, 2007

Have you ever seen one of those really old black and white photos of a little boy in what appears to be a dress? Have you ever wondered why they put their boys in dresses?

My grandma, who hailed from the deepest, darkest backwoods of Booger Holler, Arkansas, gave me the explanation one day. It's very simple really. All her children wore dresses until they were old enough to help with chores. If she needed to get some work done, she just put the hem of that dress under a leg of the bed and sweet Little Junior was contained. The Hillbilly Pack N Play.

Genius.

And today I've seriously considered bringing back that practice.

Baby is the world's busiest toddler ever. She has no use for anything that remotely resembles an age appropriate toy. If it isn't dangerous, fragile or messy, it holds no fascination for her.

Granted, today things have been somewhat hectic. Due to my painting project, the kids' bedroom is pretty messy. Because with any redecorating, I have to do reorganizing. And with any reorganizing comes more mess, which always seems to bleed over into all the other rooms.

Why?

Because I like to do things the hard way.

So in addition to all the other crap she likes to scatter all over the house, she now has more piles to plunder. And I am about to lose my mind.

Problem is, she's not wearing a dress today. So tell me what you think...would this be too extreme?

15 comments:

Kara said...

LOL, I've seen that pic. Some days I wish I could do that to 2yr old. It's amazing how fast they can make messes huh?!

Anonymous said...

That's EXACTLY how I contain my daughter when I take a shower! Works like a charm! ;)

LiteratureLover said...

That is TOO funny! Somehow I think Baby would wiggle free of that duct tape. And I'm wondering how you would get her to stay still long enough to tape her? I suppose you could put in a Dora movie. ;)

That Grandma of yours is a smart woman.

Laura said...

Okay that is too funny! Why that baby is not crying hysterically is beyond me...I'm amazed how they got that picture unless of course it was all done by computer because I just don't know any baby that will sit still long enough to have duct tape wrapped around their legs...it's brilliant really! I have a one year old and can totally relate!

Jen said...

LOL! Love it. Wish it could work on a five year old! Love that picture.

Musings of a Housewife said...

LMAO! That's hilarious. I haven't seen that picture. I love the "hillbilly pack and play". Good luck on your project. Can't wait to see a picture when you're done.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I think that is one of the best uses for duct tape that I have seen in awhile. :)

Kelli said...

That is the funniest thing I have seen in awhile.

PJ Academy said...

We did that in our youth group!! We would see who could get their group leader up the fastest without them falling off the wall!! So fun!!

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is funny and your grandma is one smart lady!

Blessings!

Heth said...

THAT'S what I'm talkin about! I wonder how much tape it would take to keep Jack in one place.....

Mama of 2 said...

for just one second I almost thought to myself oh my gosh she taped her baby to the wall...but then of course I knew better. However I like the idea very much.

Good luck with all the redecorating and reorganizing...oh and BTW when you have completed it all at your place would like to come over and do the same at my house?

Just asking...lol

Anonymous said...

LOL! That picture is too funny!

Qtpies7 said...

I wonder if it would work on my 3yo??? Oh, the messes that child makes! I'd try the dress thing, but she could undress herself in a jiffy.
Oh! I wonder if it would work on my 17yo!!??!! I'd love to keep him stuck in one place for awhile!
Love your site!
God bless,
qtpies7

noncommon said...

that is the funniest thing i've ever seen. probably because i can relate. thansk for the 4am insomnia laugh.