Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Celebrate!

It's official.

I'm old.

Today Hubby and I have been married fifteen years. FIFTEEN YEARS???!!!!! It can't be.

Fifteen years ago today I was a child. A month away from 19 years old. And I got married.

Luckily, to the world's most patient man.

Fifteen years and I have no gift. I've racked my brain for months, but how do I buy a gift for fifteen years? What do you give someone who has devoted fifteen years of their life to you?

A sweater?

Fifteen years ago I went shopping with my aunt, who was celebrating her own wedding anniversary. It was their twenty-third. We went to Hallmark and bought a card. That's it. And I remember her saying, "When you've been married as long as we have, it's just another day." That was a horrific thing to say to a newlywed.

Perhaps that's what happens when you've been married twenty-three years. But for me, today, it is NOT just another day. In a society where marriages are made and broken like cheap toys on an assembly line in China, I recognize the significance of another year we have kept our promise.

And we still like each other.

Actually, it's LU-UV. I love him now more than ever. Love in a way I never knew existed.

Do I need a gift? Nothing seems appropriate.

Unless I could find a 1963 Chevy Impala like the one he sold nine years ago so we could buy our house. For free. Anybody have one of those lying around?

Well, maybe this is one of those instances where the thought really does count.

The odds were against us. This could have been a disaster. At times, it nearly was.

But here we are.

And here we'll be for another fifteen...and more.

Happy Anniversary, Honey. Here's the rest of my life.

Sorry it's not wrapped.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

;) i kinda like this gift unwrapped...........

funny thing is we are too busy to be upset about no gifts. time is our most precious commodity.


i love you.

........hubby of supermom

Kelli said...

CONGRATS!!!!

How about looking for a Matchbox car or Hot Wheels in a 1963 Chevy Impala? That might be fun :)

I've got 18 coming up next year. It's still the best ride ever. EVER.

Janelle said...

Congratulations! 15 years is something to be proud of!

Shehopper said...

Congrats you guys!!! Robb and I will celebrate 5 years next Friday. You are my idol! We miss you!

Musings of a Housewife said...

Congratulations! And that was beautiful.

Ann(ie) said...

awwww. You guys are too cute! And I love hubby's comment. Stop making me cry! =P

janiners said...

I know this is late and you may not even see it, but many congratulations. I loved your last comment - that's probably the best gift - the rest of your life. I've always loved most of the ways you think. :-) Hope your time away together was very lovely and enjoyed! I love and miss you guys dearly!

Anonymous said...

Our family had a '62 Impala until it caught fire and burned up. So I'm not good to you there.

Happy Anniversary, belated.